Tuesday, July 2, 2013

White Flag

On day #24 of our massive roadtrip I seriously contemplated waving the white flag and surrendering to the craziness that is traveling solo* with 3 small children for weeks at a time! Home and all it's familiarity and comforts was sounding really nice as I was struggling to put my kids to sleep in yet another new place - our last destination before home. I was this close to packing us up and hitting the road for our return trip. Even if that meant driving 5-6 hours through the night. But I didn't.

Day #16 was a particularly bad one as well. I was hit full force with fever, bodyaches and teeth rattling chills. I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry. Instead I put on my big girl pants and drove the kids and I the remaining 70 miles to my parents' house. Then I crawled into bed and didn't emerge for many hours. Thanks mom! Oh and I did cry...for the last 15 miles of that journey while stuck in traffic. 

At the time I thought day #20 was going to be the end of me. Instead of napping Charlotte decided to shampoo my aunts carpet with an ENTIRE large bottle of baby shampoo and then covered it up with the contents of her brother's suitcase. But that was nothing compared to day #22 when Charlotte again boycotted nap. Instead she went to the bathroom in the corner of the {previously shampooed} room followed by painting her finger nails HOT PINK. More nail polish ended up on the white carpet than her nails. It was ugly. I really really wanted to surrender but that just wasn't an option as I had my cousin's wedding to be in the next day. And carpet to clean, again! (My aunt says we are welcome to come back and visit anytime...she is a saint!)

Finally yesterday, on day #26, one day short of our original return date I surrendered. The kids missed their daddy. I missed their daddy. We missed our home. We packed up and drove the final leg home. We arrived here at 1am today. And while the trip was fabulous, home is pretty great too! Now if only their daddy would come home from the hospital so we could see him:)



*I use the term 'solo' loosely as my mom was my travel companion and kid wrangler for much of the last month. I really couldn't have done it all without her. Thank you Mom. We love and appreciate all you do for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment