Thursday, July 25, 2013

My secret.

Want to know my little secret?

I have started running. Wait. Hold up. That is giving myself FAR too much credit. I have started jogging. Jogging intermixed with walking. 

Which in my book is CRAZY! Because for years I have lived by the motto "I don't run unless I am being chased...by a wild animal! And even then I am not sure I would run."

So how did this new fitness kick start? By accident. Really it was an accident. One evening the kids and I were walking on the path along Lake Michigan when Isaiah asked me to race him. I obliged. Mostly because I wanted to get home quicker. And I didn't die like I thought I would:)

I had been wanting to start some sort of exercise routine since Hannah's birth...nearly a year ago! I had done a workout video a few times. But nothing else really. And I just couldn't figure out a way to fit it into the routine of our day. And honestly, I don't like exercising and since I had already lost the baby weight my motivation was minimal. 

But now, now that I know I can survive my jogs AND I have a running partner, I  am exercising on a regular, almost daily basis. And I hate to admit it but I like the way I feel after exercising. You were right husband it does feel good. That isn't to say it hasn't hurt. Because OH MY GOODNESS I have never felt my muscles burn like that before! But it is a good burn. 

A new family tradition has been birthed. Family exercise time. After dinner I strap the girls into the jogging stroller(s), lace up my shape ups and set off with my running partner (sometime partners when Joe is home). We jog-walk an embarrassingly short 0.85 miles, sweat like crazy and breath harder than I would like to admit. But we do it. And it is working for us. And every day I am amazed that I am actually exercising! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks:)


2 comments: