Friday, September 23, 2016

5 Years Ago...

This picture was taken five years ago today. 


Five years and a lifetime ago. 

It was the fall of Joe's first year of medical school. We had just moved to the suburbs of Chicago and knew practically no one. I was still working part-time (in Minnesota. On the weekends!)  Isaiah was four and Charlotte was one. We were done having kids. (Ha. Hahahahaha!) Or maybe we would have another one or two during residency. But definitely no more during medical school because I was going to continue working all four years. (Haha!) Joe's parents stopped by for a quick visit on their way into Chicago and I insisted we stop by his school for an informal tour and some pictures. We had missed his white coat ceremony in order to attend his cousin's funeral. But I still wanted to commemorate the beginning of his training years somehow. 

Gosh. I look at this picture and I hardly recognize us. I remember life then. But it's gotten a little fuzzy with time. Medical school with just two kids seems like a lifetime ago. It's hard to believe that now we are in residency with four kids! Joe is well into his second year of residency. Inching closer and closer to that wonderful halfway mark. I never could have imagined this life back then. Just like I can't even begin to imagine what our life will look like five years from now. 

I don't really know where I'm going with all this. I guess it's just nice to look back and say "we made it and look at how far we've come." Maybe I'll take a picture of us today. For comparison. Maybe. If we are all in the same room at the same time that is. Joe is on late call in the PICU today. And Hannah has gymnastics tonight. Plus we might grab pizza and hang out with friends afterwards. So no guarantees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment