Thursday, December 12, 2013

If you don't have anything nice to say...

...don't say anything at all!

While that is great advice. And I have heard it many, many times in my life. (Thanks mom.) I have never been very good at following it....


Suffice it to say, it has been a real humdinger of a week around here! As I was explaining to Joe last night, I feel like the kids and I are in survival mode. We are just barely hanging on. All three of my children are having behavior issues. Intense behavior issues. And it is just too much for me to handle all at once. I know the anger, willful defiance and tantrums need to be addressed. And consistently. But I just don't have it in me right now. Instead of disciplining and dealing with the behaviors as they arise, I am struggling to just stay afloat. To do the dishes. And make meals. Do the laundry. Get everyone dressed and out the door. Quite frankly it feels like all I can do to just keep us alive. Who has time for discipline and guidance? And the energy? Not I. 

And my sanity. It seems to be slipping away. I know I am a sane person. I just don't feel it. Here's the proof: the school book fair. It's a fundraiser AND it encourages literacy. Both things I normally love and support. Not this week. Nope this week the book fair has become my nemesis. Because if I have to hear Isaiah beg one more time for money for the book fair I might really go crazy! Honestly today I threatened Isaiah with e-mailing his teacher requesting she keep him in the hall while the rest of his class attends the book fair. The book fair and me...it's getting ugly. 

And then tonight as I was attempting to tidy up, it happened. Hannah puked. All over herself, all over me and all over the (carpeted) hallway. Charlotte and Isaiah watched the whole thing. (Charlotte looked like she was going to throw up too! But thankfully didn't.) I quickly cleaned Hannah and myself up. Then Charlotte held Hannah and sang to her while I cleaned up the rest of the mess. Thank heavens for loving and helpful older siblings. And then the entire scenario repeated itself in the kitchen, except with MORE vomit. 

Like I said, a real humdinger. 

We will survive. More importantly, I will discipline and guide these children because that is my job. My privilege as their mother. But first I am going to wash the puke out of my hair!

Isaiah & his new book...from the book fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment