Friday, January 11, 2013

Christmas Scones

Our small group Bible study leader made the BEST scones! Typically I don’t like scones. They are too dry and crumbly. But not these scones. They are delicious and not dry at all. So un-sconelike:) I am kind of obsessed with them.

Typically my parenting style is more “fly by the seat of my pants” than “well planned/researched/intentional”. For example when Isaiah was a mere 6 weeks old my parents invited me to go with them to Montana for a fly fishing trip. Drive 600+ miles to stay in a cabin in the mountains without running water with my newborn? Sure why not! Admittedly I was not so fond of the slight mice infestation at this cabin. But the mountains and rivers were BEAUTIFUL. And the hiking and family time completely made it worth it.

What does this have to do with scones? Hang in there. I will get back to those. I promise.

Before Christmas this year I was trying to think of ways to create lasting memories….Christmas traditions with our children. Something that is special for just our family. Something that they will look back upon and say “I love that mom always did ________ every year for Christmas” or “It just isn’t Christmas without _______”. The challenge is that we travel for Christmas and we aren’t always at the same place or doing the same thing year to year. See not a great set-up for making traditions?! Enter the scones. I love them. They are easy to make. I don’t typically bake therefore automatically “special” for my kids:) And I can make them wherever we end up for Christmas. Perfect! So I made them…the day after Christmas. Close enough. That is as good as it is going to get for me being intentional.



So without further ado here is the recipe:

Cinnamon Chip Scones
(This is their real name. And the real recipe comes from Taste of Home)

3 1/4 c flour
1/3 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking
powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c cold butter cubed
1 c
buttermilk
1 package (10 ounces) cinnamon baking chips

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until moistened. Fold in chips.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 10-12 times (or until dough is no longer sticky). Divide in half. Gently pat or roll each portion into a 7 inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges (I think 8 would be better size wise).

Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 10-13 minutes (or until lightly browned).

I drizzled a powdered sugar glaze on them and then I ate waaaaay too many:) You don’t believe me? I have the proof. I actually gained weight over Christmas while still exclusively nursing the baby! That takes quite a bit of effort and caloric intake. That is a first for me. Oops. Good thing I won’t be making them again until next year.

And now I leave you with a cute semi-blurry picture of my kids in front of our Christmas tree. Can you tell who decorated it?


I want these babies to want to come home to me for Christmas when they are not so little anymore…

No comments:

Post a Comment