Sunday, January 22, 2017

Co-parents

One of the things that has made this year of residency easier for me is the fact that I've been less lonely this year. And that's not because my husband is around more - because he hasn't been - he's actually been around less. Second year is notoriously more demanding for his residency program and that has proven true this year. And don't even get me started on the fact that his 9 hour shifts turned into 12 hour shifts this summer (because they are changing which hospitals they cover). Same number of shifts. More hours. Fun times. Ok. That was a tangent. The reason I've been less lonely is because I've had a couple ladies step in and help me. Spending time with me and the kids. They just jump in and do what we are doing. Nothing exciting. Just regular life stuff. Homeschooling. And field trips. And trick or treating. Even just stopping by and hanging out with us randomly throughout the week. They have stepped in and jumped right into my busy chaotic make-you-want-to-pull-your-hair-out (at times) life. They have physically and emotionally helped me with my children in more ways than I can count. And for that reason I often refer to them as my "co-parents". It's obviously not the same as having my children's actual co-parent around but it's a very close second! I'm so very thankful for their presence in our home and in our lives this year. I'm a happier, healthier mom because of them! And my kids adore both of them as well.  
 


In addition to having these amazing "co-parents" this year, we've been blessed with more families in the residency program. Just having other moms and kids to hang out with that understand has been HUGE for me and my kids this year. And as if all of that wasn't enough, Joe and I have been spoiled a couple times this past fall by residency people babysitting our kids for FREE so we could go on dates. DATES! We have gone on 3 actual dates in the last 3 months. That is completely unheard of for us and AMAZING!!! 



So much for me being the helpful person to other residency people...I think they have helped me WAY more than I've helped any of them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment