Monday, June 1, 2015

the end of the world.

"I can't believe it's the end of the school year so soon! And then we will be moving to Texas. It's all happening so fast. Sometimes life is like you are driving a race car and you are coming up to a bend and everything comes so FAST. That's what it's like right now."  -Isaiah, age 7 (almost 8)


Um. When did my kid get so wise and articulate? Because that is exactly  how our life is right now! There is just SO much coming at our family in next two weeks it's hard to even comprehend. And if I'm being 100% honest it is hard for me to function at times. The stuff. ALL THE STUFF that needs to happen between now and June 15 is overwhelming me. Its good stuff. But it feels like too much. Too many BIG LIFE EVENTS in too short a time period.

And since I am overwhelmed and tired and feeling behind already I am just going to list the stuff. Everything we need/get to do. Short & to the point might be best right now.

June 3: Charlotte's preschool graduation
June 4:  Isaiah's last day of school & Charlotte's 5th(!) birthday
June 5: Joe's medical school graduation (sadly we won't be able to attend)
June 6:  Grad party/kid birthday party/goodbye party
June 7-8: Nothing. Ha! More like last minute get ready to move craziness!! (Hopefully pull together a last minute playdate/birthday party for Isaiah.) Probably go a little crazy.
June 9:  Close on Texas house, pick up and load the moving truck
June 10:  Start the 1,400 mile drive to our new house/life
June 11:  Isaiah's 8th(!!) birthday, arrive in Texas
June 12-14: Unpack. Settle in?!? Attempt to buy all our major appliances (because apparently in Texas those don't come with the house!)
June 15: Joe starts residency orientation

I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again. I really HATE CHANGE. So while this is all good stuff. Its hard. (And a little bit scary.) Its hard for me to remain happy. Its hard for me to be cheerful and excited about the next BIG thing. But I need to be. Because I have these little people that are also facing a lot of change and uncertainty in their worlds. And they are looking to me wanting to know it is all going to be alright.They are looking at me gaging my level of worry/excitement/happiness/stress and acting accordingly.  That is a lot of responsibility when I am feeling this stressed and this overwhelmed!


Though I fail daily (sometimes hourly!) at remaining cheerful about all this stuff, I pray my kids come out the other side of these two weeks happy.

Or at least alive and not scarred for life!



P.S. I realize it isn't really the end of the world. Joe just keeps telling me I am acting like the world is ending tomorrow. And in someways it does kinda, sorta feel like its ending. Or at the very least changing drastically.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am not sure where I stumbled across your blog, but I have been following it for a little while now and I just felt like I needed to comment. In just a few days will be the 3rd anniversary of my family moving from North Dakota to Texas! It was a crazy whirlwind:
    March 27, 2012: Gave birth to my third child
    April 19, 2012: My husband flew to TX to find a house and a job
    During this time I did the single mom thing as well as returned to work and packed up our entire apartment and put it in a storage unit and lived with my brother for a while.
    June 2, 2012: Husband came back to load up the UHaul and on June 5, 2012 we left North Dakota
    It was a crazy time in our life and many tears were shed, but looking back I would not have changed it for the world.
    I hope that when you look back on the crazy move to TX that you feel the same way.

    ~Marlea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming out of the woodwork and commenting:) I appreciate it! I also really appreciate your encouragement. I know will survive (and probably be better for it) but it just doesn't feel that way right now!

      Delete