Monday, April 18, 2016

Sleep Training

I want to write something...witty or funny. Or at the very least mildly entertaining. But I just don't have it in me. I keep thinking "certainly something funny has happened recently" or "I know my kids are saying cute things". And yet when I sit down to write I draw a complete BLANK. 












Levi has been waking up between 5 and 5:30 AM for the past couple weeks...months?!? I'm not even sure at this point. I just know it's been going on too long. It's turning me into a complete sleep-deprived zombie. I think the trendy word for this is "mombie". Whatever it's called, I'm the crabby irritable mom with the crabby irritable baby. We are quite the duo! It would be one thing if he woke up happy or cuddly or hungry. Or willing to be rocked back to sleep. But alas he is none of these things. He is just MAD. He stands up in his crib and screams. I then stumble over and try my best to make him happy/meet his needs which does....nothing. 



He pretty much screams until morning nap time. It's sloooowly killing me. Or at least it feels like it is. I'm just not a morning person. Plus (according to me) 5 AM is still night. Not morning! It may not actually be killing me. But it most definitely is killing my attitude towards life. I'm sure my kids and husband have noticed. Like when one kid asks me sweet child-like questions. "Mom how many days until Christmas? Will we give Santa my list at Christmas? Mom is it almost Christmas?" And all I can respond with is "I don't know. Sure. Quit asking me so many questions. No more questions!" Or when another child of mine tells me that her brother kicked her and instead of intervening appropriately I hope she will just kick him back. 

(Unrelated cute picture.)

On Sunday I took the kids to the museum. It's one of our favorite places to go hang out. Kill time while daddy is working. However this museum recently opened a new (and pretty cool!) kids' interactive science center which means the museum has gotten busier. Meaning my kids and I no longer have the place to ourselves on Sunday afternoons. When I texted Joe to tell him we were at the museum. (I'm sure he was just sitting around the hospital wondering what we were doing. Ok not really. But I never fail to inform him.) He sent back congratulatory clappy hands. To which I responded with a whiney "but there are other people here!" I could have mentioned how awesome the new interactive science center is or how much fun his kids were having. But no. I complained about having to share the space with other people. Like I said my attitude stinks. And I know it's because I'm sleep deprived. 

Looks like I do have a story to share after all! And since I'm on a roll let me back up and talk about Saturday too. An unintentional and non-sequential weekend recap of sorts:)


Saturday evening shortly after Joe returned home from his 9 hour exam (i.e. Step 3, part 2) on his day "off" I fled the house leaving four bewildered children and one tired husband in my wake. I was off in search of some much needed and overdue adult time...with Joe's co-residents and spouses. Yep. I ditched him with the kids to hang out with his friends! Clearly I'm a very considerate wife. But that's not the point. Actually I'm not sure there is a point. Other than hanging out with kid-less people is fun. And refreshing. And a little eye opening. One of the newly pregnant (with her first) residents was complaining about being tired and nauseous. I immediately tried to comfort her by agreeing that the first trimester is SO hard. Later in the evening she mentioned that she had napped and read a book all day. I hate to admit it but at that point I was actually envious of her. My compassion dwindled quickly. Her day sounded downright delightful. I hardly remember that days like that exist! I on the other hand had been up since 5am (thanks to my early bird baby!) and taking care of three sick kids (again!). But I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to be that mom. Later when I was driving another resident's wife home she asked me about my day and I mentioned that I had been up since 5. With a look of horror on her face she very seriously asked me, "Why? Why would you get up that early on a Saturday? How are you even functioning right now?" I tried not to laugh when I answered, "Because that's when the baby woke up." She immediately asked me if I had napped to make up for my early wake up time. That time I did laugh a little bit when I told her I did "nap". If falling asleep for 20 minutes on the couch while the kids watch cartoons to be woken up by the baby screaming in your face and pulling your hair counts as a nap, then yes! Yes I did nap. 

All of this lead me to the obvious conclusion that something needed to change. So a little sleep training is coming this cute baby's way...


Oh and a change of scenery too! He's moving out of our room and in with big brother. I sure hope they are still this happy after being roomies!

No comments:

Post a Comment